Monday, September 29, 2008

Self-control

I logged on here because I suddenly became convinced that I had published about something I shouldn't have, given my readership. And had to thoroughly search to confirm that no, I had not been idiotic enough to put up here those particular thoughts and that they either went in an e-mail or were part of some conversation. The fact that I can't distinguish in my memory between different forms of communication is rather interesting in and of itself - it means my memory is treating me posting something here as the equivalent of having a face-to-face discussion with someone, which probably says something very profound about how much I actually get out of face-to-face interactions (in general, some, obviously, would not be confused with a blog post). But the more important lesson is self-control and that I need to re-establish the filter between my brain and my mouth/fingers. Not a strength of mine. Not something I would list on my resume. But, perhaps of course, I would argue that there is great value in lacking a certain amount of self-control because it allows you to explore things that others would be fearful of. The predictability of those with strong self-control limits their ability to add to the world and to improve their own lives. Plus they're boring and tend to be condescending (ABSOLUTELY with no right whatsoever). Now that I'm done attacking half of America I'll go back to resting up...