Saturday, September 13, 2008

Nudist Beach

I am going to steal the text of this from a friend as I personally have never been to a nudist beach: "on the nudist beach, it's actually really cool because it's like going to a place where you KNOW that everyone there is going to be openminded. i mean, 90+% of the time, the people who are naked are not the people you wanna see naked, and mostly older. but still, you know that the nude people and, more importantly, those who purposely went there, are going to be cooler than the "family" section. I wish there was more demarkation of that sort in general. i mean, i don't want to be around closeminded people....the less i have to see them the better, right? "

The really interesting part about the analysis is that what it touches is the essence of the people, which is somehow "ironic" because in our society the nudity should take precedence in terms of what one would pay attention to. But clothes are just this odd construction of society (apart from cold places where such things were needed) that forces us to feel as though our bodies should look a certain way and we shouldn't allow people to see certain parts of ourselves. But it's terribly odd because it's not based on anything. I mean, I can think of a million reasons why the clothing industry would develop and thrive, but none of them could justify the legal consequences for going about without clothing. All of it is commercial, it's all about money, and I know I'm being naive even for the super-naive version of myself, but politics are meant to do good, not to help industry.
The main reason I feel odd about this conclusion that I'm drawing is that the Germans are particularly fond of nudity in general (beaches, camps etc.) and despite all my work to overcome my bias against the Germans, I still harbor a slight bias. Although to my credit, it has to do with their current weirdness and not their actions in WWII, as was previously the case.
But there is something deeper about assuring that we not allow people to be nude in society. It gives away too much. It allows you to be too much yourself. It doesn't hide enough. It doesn't make you similar enough to other people. To go back to the 80s or 90s, it doesn't provide you with full Gap outfits with matching tops, bottoms and even socks. It says, we really aren't conformists, but individuals. And government, society, is scared to death of individuals. And that's the real basis, the fear of reality, the fear of rebellion. Because once people realize they are individuals and not cogs, there is inevitably rebellion.