Monday, June 23, 2008

Favorite story of the year

So a female family friend who is Jewish is married to a Catholic. The first year they were dating, on Christmas eve they went to his parents' house. He wanted her to have gifts to unwrap like everyone else so he went and bought things for her. Then, at the office, he noticed that a Jewish colleague had some wrapping paper by his desk. So he asked him, is that for Hanukkah? He said yes, so the now-Husband asked if he could use it, was told yes, and so he wrapped the presents in the paper. Christmas eve he gave the presents to our Jewish friend and she said to him, what kind of wrapping paper is this? He says, it's for Hanukkah. She says, no, this is for Kwanzaa, it says salaam and has the candles. He says, I thought it said shalom and that was a menorah.
He went back to his Jewish colleague, complaining about what had happened and said, I thought you said you were a jew - to which he responded - I said I was a jew, I didn't say I was a good jew.