Tuesday, June 24, 2008

EKGs

So the reason I find EKGs funny is that whenever I go to the doctor, they can't be bothered to remove all the sticky things they've attached. So for days afterwards, I will randomly find my pajamas sticking to the mid-part of my thigh and am all, what is this...and it is a random sticky black thing. The worst is when you come home, go to sleep, wake up, go to bathroom, and feel this slight uncomfortableness all around your chest. And you start feeling around and are all, what's this? because you don't remember clearly (if you're me) because you were knocked unconscious, maybe had a seizure etc. and so you don't remember anyone sticking anything on your chest. And you unbutton your pajama top and there are like 20 random sticky things all over the place. In very compromising places, I might add. So you take them off, but you feel a bit dirty, both about someone having put them there, but also, weirdly, about them having been there at all.
But even more entertaining is the earlier referenced part, when you keep finding these things for days afterwards. Because they actually put them all over your body but (if you're like me) you don't remember b.c. your brain is fried. So you'll wonder why your pajamas are falling in this unusual pattern, but you're not functional enough to check (brain still fried) for at least a couple days, when you finally uncover the random sticky thing. And the several others that surround it.
And I think it begs the question, I mean, if you are messed up enough that you are in the hospital and having this test done, shouldn't they get all these things off you so you're not confused about weird forces in the universe pulling at your clothes for like a week afterwards? Isn't there some sense of humanity that fits in there? Comments, as always, welcome.