Saturday, July 21, 2007

Ever so slightly curious as to what the obsession with Harry Potter is all about


I once saw part of one movie. It was reasonably entertaining but I can't say I was enthralled. And if I'm going to pick up a tome to read, it's going to be one of the classics that I just haven't ever gotten around to. At least that way I'll have accomplished something significant. The whole Harry Potter thing is, however, evidence of the ability to make massive sums of money by tapping into legal addiction. In fact, as the alcohol companies have recognized, one of the best ways to make money on legal addiction is to capitalize to the illegality of many addictions (the alcohol companies fund major anti-drug campaigns, as a point of explanation). All these people out there are just looking to get addicted to something that doesn't have a social stigma and Harry Potter hit on that. The point being that I need to determine how I can create a socially acceptable addiction and capitalize on it. For another day.