Monday, April 16, 2007

Taxation sans Representation

Taxes this year ended up being far more taxing than normal - so far I have competed 6 forms and as much as I love doing my taxes (and I really do) even I am a bit exhausted by the endless circularity of some of the calculations. I actually on two occasions had to divide two numbers and then multiply the resulting figure by one of the original numbers, resulting in the remarkable outcome one would expect...
Inevitably completing the forms and the sense of accepted despair when you actually calculate the figure on the "tax" line leads to wonderment at the extent to which you personally are supporting the government. For me, it's pretty much as inevitable as my semi-annual mid-life crisis when exam period comes. Suddenly you recognize your own (potential) significance, view an accounting of what you have been doing for the past year or half year, and then briefly freak out. Then there is a burst of energy, a million new plans, motivated with the sort of honest vigor that children have when their parents discover they've broken a vase and the children realize they're going to be allowed to live but that a really earnest showing of a changed heart will improve the situation dramatically. Actually, it occurs to me that it makes infinitely more sense to make new year's resolutions mid-April, when you are REALLY assessing your situation.