Friday, April 13, 2007

Sake & DC

A couple thoughts on beverages today - sake and diet coke. Sake because I've been drinking it out of an espresso cup from argentina trying to force myself to sleep and diet coke because I decided a diet coke bath might be very intriguing. Was trying to determine how many 2 liter bottles would be required to fill the bathtub - it seems like rather a lot. Which led me to wondering why they don't sell diet coke in larger quantities, and then I considered the difficulty of drinking or even pouring from a larger container (which of course could be dealt with, but it would require altering the form of the bottle to something more akin to a wine box and I think that would destroy some of the brand strength without much benefit to coke b.c. they make more on the smaller bottles). The diet coke bath sort of comes from Zoolander - I've been thinking for a while about it - that scene where he pours a diet coke on his head - not sure why, but it always seemed very intriguing to me. But then I thought, why just do one coke, why even limit myself to a shower, when I could simply have a bath and thereby truly experience saturation in diet coke. On sake, I've been trying to adapt myself to it. It turns out that sake, like many hard alcohols, really changes with quality. Meaning that cheap sake is like drinking rubbing alcohol and good sake is smooth and delicious. When I was in Japan I kind of had to go with it because wheat and I are not one and there's a lot of beer and I like to drink on vacation, well, just because I do. Actually, it's because it adds some extra drama to the travel adventure. I don't think I've been on a non-drinking vacation in a long time and I think I would be unable to handle the sometimes-slow pace of travel. You can't always get where you want to when you want to, you often can't communicate, you have to check maps 20 times, and then many times you do all this to get to a place that is closed for the month or no longer even exists and you have to say, okay, so where to next. With a bit of alcohol, it's all a bit more entertaining.
But so am undecided on the diet coke bath - a number of potential problems - I know it's a little off, and I know that enough to have worried about attention I might draw by trying to bring 20 2 liter bottles of diet coke past my doorman - also, what if instead of enjoying the diet coke bath, I am grossed out by it and then traumatized for a while by my weirdness - or maybe I'll enjoy it too much and want to bathe in diet coke on a regular basis and then it's back to the practicality issue. Although I suppose I could install one of those soda machines in my home and buy the syrup.