Saturday, April 21, 2007

The cauchemar of flash

What exactly is a cauchemar? According to the delightfully serious french wikipedia article, for some it is a nighttime form of epilepsy, a bad demon, nervous temperament, and eventually of course, it simply becomes an expression of issues that haven't been properly dealt with by the conscious mind. In a sense, they're all essentially the same, something is amiss in the head and when the body sleeps, the mind will play. My complaint is that flash causes my brain to go into crazy mode while my body is still awake. To explain, I generally uninstall flash and any video playing devices from my browsers because the moving ads drive me nuts. I can stand them for a short while, then I move the window so I can't see them but after about 5 minutes of web browsing, I'm about to break the computer monitor I'm so stressed by the flashing and movement that I have to shut everything down. For whatever reason, the way that flash ads tend to flow and repeat and slowly move across the space agitates my brain greatly and causes it to think that it is time to begin bringing forth demons and other subconscious issues, all while I'm trying to figure out what's happening in telecoms. The problem is that eventually I really need to see a video - generally because I become convinced that the miscellaneous person who died in a car crash/shooting/jumping off a bridge is someone I know, but there are insufficient details in the written stories and so I have to see videos on the off-chance they spliced shots in an unprofessional way and you can actually see the victim (this reason is generally responsible for about 2-3 installs per month - and btw, this has never actually been the case). An alternative would be to sit down with a therapist and work through ways to deal with my irrational beliefs as regards people I know suddenly dying all the time and someone forgetting to let me know and then being in the awful situation of having sent an e-mail to a dead person, but it's really much easier to uninstall and reinstall flash, at least for now. If I start watching more local news, however, the balance will likely tip in the direction of therapy. Local news is just fuel on the fire for this stuff.