Thursday, July 24, 2008

Passing out - intentionally

I forgot (b.c. I've been sleeping for about a week now) to post about the intentional passing out. It is called a tilt table test and so you go to the hospital, they place you on a table, put you at a 70 degree angle (why exactly the dr said was unclear and it's weird b.c. you just feel like you're standing and not at an angle at all) they set up heart and blood pressure monitors and just check things out every 2 minutes for 40 minutes. So I sort of knew nothing would happen, because this isn't my passing out pattern. I get dizzy and sweaty and things go black from me standing up too long in the morning but I never actually pass out. And nothing did happen. But it turns out my internet research had failed me and there was a second part to the test - nitroglycerin. If nothing happens after the 40 minutes, they give you this tab to dissolve under your tongue. I'm thinking, well that won't have any effect b.c. it's not intravenous. Within 30 seconds I have the worst headache of my life and within a minute my eyes are closed (because I can't bear to have them open anymore), I feel horribly nauseous and seriously have the sensation I am about to die. The next time I'm conscious I'm kind of not quite conscious but it doesn't feel like I'm at an angle anymore. Minutes pass. Slowly I kind of come to. And the technician says, that was it, a positive tilt table test. My blood pressure dropped to 30 over something, as she tells me, and my heart rate went to zero for 8 seconds. So obviously, I passed out. It was a pretty gross passing out and completely unlike my other episiodes, except for one in high school that was an unrelated matter, but I guess in the end, wasn't, since it turns out I have this thing. So anyways, that was a rather enlightening morning that will no doubt cost me several hundred more dollars. I sort of feel like just letting northwestern do a direct withdrawal from my bank account on a monthly basis. Although I do enjoy their multi-page monthly bills detailing all the doctors I've seen and tests they've done. I feel like I've accomplished something with my time.