Thursday, July 24, 2008

Newark

Oh! And then Sunday night I ended up on the tarmac at newark for approximately 7 hours. I calculated that I have been in and out of Newark a minimum of 50 times, which is a lot for a place that is such a shit-hole (and I don't use that term lightly). I almost didn't care b.c. earlier it magically took me 40 minutes to find a sushi place in union square (all these places were closed on Sunday, it was surreal), then my ride to the airport canceled at the last minute, I had to take a cab, the cab driver threw me out due to some disputes over the fare calculation and my choice of language (that escalated nicely, as it tends to do when people try to tell me I'm in the wrong), I couldn't get on the earlier flight despite my status and so I just went into mental shock and hybernation mode. Apart from swearing, sotto voce, at the stewardasses as they screamed at the people in the seats next to me about whether they wanted drinks when it was clear that I was sleeping. I need to send a series of complaints to United (they also canceled my original flight to ny w/out telling me and just sent me a notice that my flight to denver has been rerouted), not that it ever does me any good, or that those fools in India care that I can't sleep on the tarmac in a place they've only vaguely heard of (I swear I repeated and spelled out "Newark" like 10 times and they're asking me for an alternate name and, well, again, I need to learn to control my temper). I will note that my fare for this trip magically went down by $50 AFTER I booked the ticket, which was pretty fascinating. So perhaps I can only complain so much?