Friday, October 03, 2008

Stress

I must say that I am extremely happy that I am not one of those people who is unable to control stress. Reading stories about teenagers throwing up due to anxiety in anticipation of tests reminded me that I knew a bunch of people like that in high school and it must have been awful not only for them, but for their parents. As a parent, I just wouldn't have any idea what to do with that - I mean, how could you allow yourself to get so upset that you would be physically ill over something like a test? I guess as a parent you would try to calm them down, rationalize with them, but if they're teenagers, you've lost them already, you screwed something up in terms of teaching them priorities. I could probably do with more stress in my life, or at least a greater sense of urgency, or at least some respect for the system. Because there is a reason for stress and it can be extremely helpful, under the right circumstances. But I only get stressed out about irrational things and generally quite randomly so it's not at all productive. Like a couple months ago I became extremely stressed that I couldn't immediately find a collection of DVDs that had been missing for about a year. It was completely absurd, as I wasn't suddenly going to find them and in all likelihood they are not even in my apartment and I couldn't even play the majority of them as they're zone 2 and I had to set my computer to zone 1. But that's the weirdness of stress.