Thursday, October 09, 2008

Gatorade - Elixir of the Gods?


So over the years, my mother, my doctors, nurses providing emergency care after I passed out from dehydration at baseball games (yes, multiple), all have pushed Gatorade on me like it was a vitamin. And for some reason, I hated it, I suppose because it makes me slightly nauseous. However, recently a friend was visiting and woke up with a ridiculous hangover after something like 7 hours of beer pong, and requested a bottle of Gatorade, which he drank and promptly felt better. A couple weeks later I became violently ill with a pernicious flu that lasted 2-3 weeks, the first couple weeks of which the only "food" I could digest was Gatorade. And I realized that it was actually kind of making me feel better. And this made me curious, both about Gatorade in general and specifically, why it seemed to rebalance me.
As it turns out, Gatorade has a fascinating history for a quotidian beverage. It starts with the University of Florida footballers who couldn't handle the physical demands of football given the weather/environment of Florida. The coach went to the University's science department for a solution and the mixture of substances that was to be Gatorade was born - indeed the name "Gatorade" is derived from the football team's name, the Gators. (this slightly bizarre article on the state department website seemingly selling Gatorade to the nation of Guyana provides further information) (NB further that Gatorade is not certified kosher)
Anyways, the answer is either that I am carb or electrolyte deficient and that is why I feel so much better (albeit nauseous - I just don't take sugar that well). Considering that I don't eat gluten, the carb answer is more likely.
As always, leave it to yahoo answers to come up with a completely false and stupid answer. Obviously off-topic, but I am fascinated by yahoo answers for its ability to consistently incorrectly answer questions, have them permanently posted, and somehow yahoo is okay with attaching its name to this. I mean, if I were running a major company based on the utility of the internet and I had a product designed to allow users to provide other users with answers to their questions, I would have a monitor that checked this stuff over. It's only logical. But yahoo has been disappointing me since they started doing those absurd commercials going "Yahoooooo-oooo." I mean, it's just painful to watch and makes you feel like if you've ever used a yahoo account you're an idiot.