Monday, May 19, 2008

Weather


So you get up in the morning, start rummaging through your closet and realize, wait, I need to know what the weather is first (plus I need to know which coat (if any) to wear and whether an umbrella is necessary). Thus, every morning I turn on my television to the weather channel (sadly, often when I turn on the television the weather channel is already on because I watch so little tv but that's a different tale of woes) and I wait patiently for "local on the 8s." Unfortunately I'm not exactly patient - the issue is more that I sort of constantly need to be getting things done and multi-tasking - so sometimes I'll miss the next "local on the 8s" and sometimes this leads me to need to turn on my computer and reach out to weather.com. And here's where my complaint arises - weather.com provides totally irrelevant (albeit meterologically accurate) information. For example, I don't really care about the chance of precipitation - I want to know if I need to bring an umbrella. So what I really need to know is, will it rain during hours I will be outside and will it be heavy and long-lasting rain. I also don't need the temperature so much as an analysis of what kind of coat would be most appropriate. For example, it said it was 40 today and it felt like 70. I mean, that's totally misleading from a coat-choice perspective. The best way to judge these things is actually to see what people who have already left their houses and are wandering the streets are wearing. Unfortunately I can't see that far down so that is no longer an option for me (I used to wait for like 10 minutes in paris for someone to walk past my window in the morning...)