Sunday, May 11, 2008

Autism as a Positive Evolutionary Development

So recently at a dinner I heard that this is going on in society - this group of people who argue that autism is actually a positive development and not something that should be treated. In essence, the idea is that this is an evolutionary growth period and we are seeing the advent of a new and better version of mankind. I find that a little bold and to be perfectly honest, I think it just belies some of the narcissism that accompanies not being able to accurately and consistently process the meaning of consequences of social interaction and thus, a significant part of the purpose of being human. I can't find a good site for it right now because I'm sleepy but may update later. (I owe dues to whoever brought this up at dinner two weeks ago and I apologize for completely forgetting who it was - let me know if it was you and I'll attribute appropriately). Shavuah Tov!