Thursday, May 10, 2007

Biblical musings

So while I was procrastinating, I started reading the bible, part of it having been assigned reading for a class. And wow, is it wild. Leviticus in particular is just off-the-hook crazy. Like, I'm not that clear on the, okay to eat locusts, but no to escargot. There is also far more on specifics of how to deal with signs of leprosy than on dietary restrictions, which kind of makes you wonder...like the leprosy thing, not so important anymore, so why is it there? I know that seems a little circular, but if this is a book to address everything through all of mankind, what about more modern diseases and how to deal humanely with those with illness? I actually just think leviticus as a whole should go out the window - it's kind of cuckoo for coca puffs. Plus they don't even enforce the, you're not allowed in the temple if you only have one testicle thing anymore.
But the really interesting part is the interpretation. Most of what I read involves imposing values onto the religious text, regardless of what the text actually says. Being a literature prodigy, I know all about interpretation and about how far you can go. I actually know because when something is wrong with an interpretation or solution, there is a feeling in my stomach that tells me (yes, that is serious. and it works. it's never failed me). But drawing larger significance from simple rules is actually, I think, wrong. I think it is wrong to take a holy text, project your opinions onto it, thereby forcing them onto others who feel that not accepting the interpretation is a rejection of the text and ergo, of the religion. I mean, I could anoint myself as a religious figure and say that the whole testicle thing actually referred to undescended testicles and the fact that this interferes with testosterone production and general malfunction and so suggested that people who were unable to procreate weren't welcome in the flock. It matches with the getting rids of the lepers thing. The modern interpretation is that the weak should be weeded out and those who cannot contribute should not be allowed to use precious resources, such as fertile women. But I kind of doubt we'll see that one anywhere...