Sunday, June 17, 2007

Another argument for my ADD-ness

The anecdotal evidence that coffee is calming in kiddies with ADD. I am currently drinking coffee as I started having an anxiety attack over an administrative issue that cannot even be addressed until a workday (e.g., tomorrow, but in any case, not today).
The book I use to explain most of my odd reactions to things tells me that in mice lacking certain adenosine receptors (A2a), caffeine had only a depressant effect and caffeine leads to a release of dopamine in the prefrontal cortex. If this is my problem, however (according to the mice at least) I should have improved spatial recognition abilities, which is not the case. However, the mice also indicate that I should be more anxious and aggressive than other similarly-placed mice, which is clearly the case.
Furthermore, a lot of adenosine building up in the basal forebrain causes sleepiness and makes it last longer (I've always slept ridiculous amounts).
I'll have to return to this on-line self-diagnosis later.